I wanted an easier method, so I tried three, and I was happy with none! First I tried using water color pencils, but that to me didn't look natural.
|A "posterized" gray scale version|
of the original. This helps
me to see where the shadows
should be placed. They can
clearly be seen, both on the sand and
on the boys' bodies.
Finally I tried tea-dyeing my fabric, planning then to cut the shadows from this darker shade. Again, I used McCaffery's directions, but despite leaving the swatches in the tea longer than she suggests, it had absolutely NO effect on this fabric! Perhaps had I washed the fabric first, it would have taken to the tea dye better.
Because of my experiments with both the colored pencils and the paint, I had then to start from scratch with Locke. I cut out a new cloth "paper doll" for him, though of course I could re-use his hair and his shorts. (This time, I remembered to adhere the Misty Fuse first, on the back of the flesh-colored fabric, before cutting out the pattern.)
And so now I am back to using brown tulle, fused on with Misty Fuse. This method, after all, is the best. Yes, tedious, but also effective!
And so here is a picture of the in-progress quilt. In it you can see that I have begun the shadowing on Locke--on his face, arms, and torso. Also you can see the final decision about the background. I am using the painted sky, water, and some of the beach fabric. But to achieve the look of the beach that I wanted, I used two commercial fabrics as well. The fabric on the bottom is the commercial one called "sand", and then the one just behind Locke is a fabric that just seemed to coordinate well with both the painted fabric and the bottom one.
|If you compare this photo of the quilt with|
the posterized version above, you
can tell how I get the shape and the
placement of the shadows.