This is my last day to work on this quilt for awhile. On Sunday I hand it over to my good friend Judy, who often does my machine quilting for her. Not only is she reasonable, but she's the best free motion quilter I've ever encountered! When she's done, I'll add the binding, using the same special, Marcia Stein, method that I used on the first quilt. This was a topic of the one post I put up on this blog in June.
Today I finished up the appliqueing. This to me is a fun part of this process! I don't like changing thread colors so often, but except for that, it is enjoyable. I used something like 16 different threads for this stage of construction. Following Marcia Stein's instructions, I use a tiny zig-zag stitch, matching the thread color to the section being sewn down.
I also did a bit of "thread sketching" today, on the tops of all the boys' heads. All had some "Denice the Menace" sticking-up hair. Locke's was particularly dramatic! Here are some photos:
|This shows the appliqueing on some of the|
smaller areas of the quilt. It's also a good
one to illustrate thread colors: 7
different ones here!
|More of the detail work|
|Note the thread sketching of Locke's "top knot"!|
|And here, the thread sketching on|
Dawson and Malcolm
|Here's the quilt as a whole,|
now appliqued at last!