Then I trace on freezer paper's dull side the shapes of the various shadows, using my original cartoon enlargement. After cutting out around these patterns, I place them on the prepared tulle, top it again with parchment, and iron once more, about the same length of time. Then I cut out the shapes. I have learned to let the freezer paper cool totally before removing the pieces from the ironing board; it seems to stick better when I do that.
Then I carefully remove the pattern from a shape, place it where it belongs, and then do a third ironing, again using the parchment on top and underneath, to adhere it to the figures where needed.
Here is the quilt, shading in place on the boys, pinned to the now-sewn background. Where you see some pins sticking into the shadows--those are places where I have added additional tulle and not yet ironed them down.
PS I've had to clean my iron with the product I mentioned several posts back. No matter how careful I am, inevitably I get fusible on the iron.
|The entire quilt, background now sewn,|
shading done on the figures.
|I had fun designing the shoes for the two|
boys who are shod!