Wednesday, July 24, 2013
My Latest Material Mavens Quilt--Honeycomb
I first tried to use a stencil a honeycomb design on some silk, but the paint bled through. I tried to silk screen using the stencil, and the same thing happened. In addition, the colors I used--yellow silk and orange paint--simply didn't look authentic.
Eventually the design began to evolve--a collage of "bee-related" images. Thus the final quilt is just that. For the essential honeycomb I used a copy-right free Google image of a real honeycomb, transferring it to fabric via TAP (Transfer Artist Paper).
At first I included some dimensional red flowers for my dimensional bees, but they dominated the quilt and the necessary honeycomb faded into the background. Then I decided to use flower prints. I had some white flowers on black fabric, but couldn't locate black flowers on white (and I was concerned to limit my color palette). So I decided to hand-stamp with black paint on white fabric. I made the stamps myself from craft foam, and the resulting hand-stamped fabric became one of my favorite parts of this quilt.
My other favorite aspect are the dimensional bees! These were thread painted first on fabric backed with stabilizer. The wing were made of organza, thread painted with gold thread. Then I cut them out and machine stitched them to the quilt.
Finally, I added a bee hive, which I embellished with embroidery stitching. Embroidered seed stitches became my quilting, along with free motion quilting the black flowers on white fabric.
The background is a commercial fabric that is a subtle honeycomb print.
The back was fashioned from some of my "rejects" from the front. I included the first verse of the Jimmie Rodger's song "Honeycomb" which ran maddeningly through my head while I was constructing this quilt!