Monday, January 28, 2019

Getting Caught Up Again!

Wow, I've not posted here for so long!  Our art quilting blog, The Material Mavens, is still going strong.  We are now in Round Three, and our specifications have changed.  Now we are posting or not--it's up to the quilter to make this decision--and we post every three months.  The themes are already chosen.  They appear in the left sidebar on the blog for that group, which is called The Material Mavens.  You can visit it at:  https://thematerialmavens.blogspot.com/

But I know that some of Round Two quilts have not appeared here!  The first two below are some of these.  Beneath the quilts are the themes and then my title for the quilt that I made for that theme.  The Round Three quilts I've made are the last three.

Looking at these all together anyone can tell that I am drawn to the color BLUE!  I need to branch out, for sure, in terms of colors in my art quilts!

I need to check to see if there are other MM quilts not yet posted here on this blog.  I can post again for those, if so!




Rock-a-Bye Baby quilt; "Rock" theme

The theme was "Blues"--My title was "String Pieced Blues".  When quilters "string piece," they use a foundation, in my case, a square of muslin, and to it add strips of fabric.  I started in the middle with the light blue fabric that has a white flower at one end.  To that fabric I sewed strips on either side.  Then after trimming the middle section,
strips of fabric are added to it on either side.  After the foundation piece is covered, then you trim the block to size.  It's a fun way to make a block and a fun way to use up scraps.

Theme "Wild"-- My quilt I called "Killing Two Birds with One Stone"
This title sort of baffles me now, but I think I had made these blocks using the "Mile a Minute" technique, and I "borrowed" four of them from the quilt for this theme's quilt.  These are all Kaffe Fassett fabrics.  The blocks look as if they're made like the string pieced quilt above it, but they aren't.  The "mile a minute" technique is quite different and not pieced onto a foundation, as are string-pieced blocks.  Two different techniques result in blocks that LOOK very similar, admittedly!
  Anyway,  back to the quilt's title:   I "killed two birds with one stone" by using 4 blocks that I'd made for a larger quilt!  That larger quilt became a birthday gift for a dear friend from Boston; another fan of Kaffe Fassett's fabrics.

The theme was "Joy" and my quilt title was "Grandchildren and Their Mothers."
Obviously my daughters and my grandchildren have brought me great joy!

The theme for this time was "Treasure."  My quilt is called "Epiphany or The Coming of the Wise Men."
This quilt was made during the season of the church year called "Epiphany," so named because of the arrival of the Wise Men who had followed the star to see the child Jesus.  

2 comments:

  1. Well, I am glad to see you are back posting to this blog. It is fun to see and of course you never know when it will be helpful to others who may be working on similar projects. It also serves as a reminder or storage and will be fun to look back on. Be sure to send the link from Google. The one I got was from another Search engine and it threw away my comments. I will hope to follow my own advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know HOW to send the link via Google! I sent the email link from within the blog, and since the blog was accessed by me from Google, I assumed it was being sent via Google.....

    ReplyDelete