I used batiks for most of the dead weeds and also for the flowers' living ones and for the flowers themselves. A fusible web was added to the fabrics before I sliced them into various lengths and widths, and then I fused them to the background fabric, which was a left over piece from the fabric I painted for the Three Boys quilt--the beach fabric. I couched two different yarns to for more weeds, and after I cut free hand some flowers and leaves, I appliqued them by machine with a tiny zig zag stitch. Then I used an embroidery running stitch and embroidery floss for the quilting.
I will post on our Material Mavens blog some additional "process" photos, and more details about the construction of this little quilt. But here are a few photos of the quilt in process:
|fusing the first weeds down to the background|
|couching the gold yarn for more weeds|
|couching the brown, "hairy" yarn|
|appliqueing by machine the flowers and leaves|
|a close-up of the embroidery stitches used for quilting this piece|